Thursday, October 30, 2008

Good-Bye Sweet Friend

What happened today truly came as a HUGE surprise!! I wasn't sure up to the very second that it happened whether or not it truly would... but it did!! Morgan had her hair cut...her beautiful long hair all cut...over 10 inches of it!! Up until this past week, Morgan was saying that she wasn't cutting her hair. She liked how it felt when she twirled her head. She liked the fact that it almost fell into the toilet when she used the bathroom. She liked having it long like "crinkle fries" after it was braided all day.

Then just this past week, she started talking about having it cut. She looked at pictures from years ago and decided that she wanted it short again. I let it go all week because I was sort of hoping that it would pass but then last night she asked Noel if he cared if she got her hair cut. He told her that he didn't as long as she wanted it for herself. She told him firmly that she did. So today when she found out that we were out shopping that direction, she asked again if she could get her hair cut. I reminded her that it was just hair and that it would eventually grow back - but once it's cut, it cannot be undone. She was determined so in we went.

This is the before picture...lots of hair!

After being called back to the chair, Morgan politely told the hairdresser that she wanted her hair cut up to her shoulders. The lady agreed and started getting it ready. Morgan and I had talked about donating her hair to "Locks of Love" and although Morgan wasn't crazy about the idea of someone else "wearing her hair", she decided today that she could give it to someone. I asked the gal how short her hair would have be in order to donate it. She said she would have to cut it to her chin. Morgan was hesitant at first but then quietly agreed.

It's measured up at least 10 inches and then put into rubber bands to hold the donated sections together. At this point, it still hasn't hit me how much hair is coming off.

And there it is!! Morgan still acted confident but I admit, I started to tear up. I'm not sure if it's because that's three years of hair there or the fact that my daughter is getting big enough to make these decisions herself or what it represents to me... but I admit it. I cried softly and where Morgan couldn't see me.
Doing the finishing touches to make sure it's all even

Morgan posed for me and for the hairdresser before we left. When we went to pay, we found out that we didn't owe anything since she donated it all to charity. That was nice -- although then I didn't have any cash to tip the gal. She said that she enjoyed doing it and that Morgan was so calm and self assured of what she was doing, it made it all worth it!

The finished product. Once we got home, Morgan picked out one of Melayna's bows to finish it off. I obliged her because I secretly think that a big baby bow makes her look four years "young" again and not quite so grown up!!

++++++

For me, the true test would come when Noel got home from work and saw that she had really gone through with it. Maybe I should have emailed him and gave him a warning. Would he like it?? Would he be upset with me for letting her go through with it?? I truly was almost sick to my stomach just waiting for him to come home!! So when he got home, Morgan ran to hide under the kitchen table. I whispered to him that she was hiding b/c she wanted to surprise him with her hair. He was so wonderful! He hugged her and told her how adorable it looked. Did I have any reason to be concerned? So why am I still getting choked up over silly hair???

5 comments:

kim bledsoe said...

wow that is very good she did that. She looks very cute. My girls were not blessed with long hair like her. For a little girl to say she wanted to cut it for locks of love that is a very smart and good girl.

mama2dibs said...

Ok, you had ME tearing up. What a sweet girl you have. You are truly raising her with a servant's heart Ang.

momof3Es said...

I'm glad your camera was working today :)

Liza DeGarmo said...

Zach said to tell Morgan that she looks "so cute" and he really likes it. So does uncle Chris.

Beth said...

it looks nice. I think it makes her look younger. :)
It is neat to see them willing to share with others, isn't it? When I told Aubrey we were moving and had to get rid of some of her toys, I expected her to have a fit, but she said, "why, because some boys and girls don't have any toys?" and that was that.